Saturday, 4 January 2014

People - Family, Friends, Peers - Finding Out About Your Blog

P.S - Before I start, Hellooo to anyone I know reading this ehhh this is awkward I'm not directing any of this at you's I'm not directing any of this at most of you's *cue awkward smiley face* ok see you's on Monday or whenever I see you next or in my mams' case when I go to get food in the kitchen in approximately five seconds. Ok. Bye. 

I've finally built up the guts to write this post (why I didn't have the guts to we'll never know.) at the perfect timing since the majority of us school-goers will return to school, etc. on Monday. From the title you'll know that today's post is about people such as your family and friends or people at school (or work.) finding out that you write a blog ! I've really wanted to write a post like this for so long since every time I participate in the #tbloggers chats, I always see people worrying about their friends or people at school finding out about their blog or how to tell their family about their blog. I think it's awful that the fear of people finding out about your blog can hold so many bloggers back from pursuing brilliant things surrounding their blog and I know that it's really daunting at first so I thought I'd kind of write my experience first of all and then what I'd do if I was in some of the situations - I'm not even going to mention the word "advice" because it sounds slightly patronising ! 

So if you're wondering, Alot of people at school know about my blog and YouTube videos. My family and friends have known about my blog from the very beginning and it was never any other way since it's such a huge part of my life. People at school know about blog because when I made an Instagram last March, I stupidly linked my Instagram which is meant for my blog to my Facebook - Yup, My "personal" account, Not the blog one and anyone on my friends list who also had their Instagram linked to their accounts too saw that I had joined and a few people followed me and from then until May loads of people from school followed my Instagram and I was very immature and pretended I didn't realise until in the end I just ended up following them all back. During the summer I began using my "personal" Twitter (I follow everyone in school visa versa.) as a blog Twitter too after I adapted an "I don't care. I really don't give two monkeys" attitude so I guess that everytime I tweet my link on that everyone sees ! The thoughts of people knowing about this all and worrying about what they'd think of me because of it, Made my stomach churn in school everyday but since then it honestly doesn't bother me. It's rarely brought up in conversation and even the, Whenever I've chatted to anyone about my blog or YouTube, People are generally nice about it. The majority of people think it's cool and don't have a negative opinion on it and I think alot of that is because I'm so open about my blog and YouTube - Even a few of my teachers know about my blog because it came up in conversation. Of course I'd be very naive to think that a few people haven't b*tched about it before and I know people have but again, That side does not bother me because how can those people have such an opinion about me if we've never spoken before and also it's only a tiny minority of people ! 

In my opinion, I think you should always be open about your blog with your family because over anybody else, They won't judge you for it. Even if it's embarrassing when Granny tells you she's been reading your blog, It is honestly worth telling them about your hobbies. If you don't know how to tell them, Leave your blog up on the family computer or something and leave a note beside it telling them it's your's ! When you feel comfortable enough with your blog, Try telling your close friends too because if they are your friends, They shouldn't judge you for it either. Lots of bloggers & YouTubers suggest sharing your blog/YouTube link on Facebook  and saying something like "this is my blog it's my hobby etc. etc." (I can't remember what else they say oops.) if you're afraid of being judged and want to be open but I think that you shouldn't have to explain this is your hobby and why you do this hobby because if someone plays football doesn't have to, Why should you ! I think a better way of taking this route is if your blog reaches a milestone that could be anything such as it being a year old or reached fifty followers or say if your blog was shortlisted for an award or it was on a magazine's website or something, Write about it on Facebook and link your blog in it too or tag the Facebook page for it ! I've semi done this when my makeup look with the ombré hair I sent into teenvogue.com went on their website. 

As for people finding out about your blog, You have to think positive ! There's a thing called the law of attraction which is basically if you think positive thoughts there will be positive outcomes of that in your life, If you think negative thoughts there will be negative outcomes of that thought in your life. If you're wondering why I'm mentioning this it's because if you come across as ashamed of your blog when it's brought up in conversation, People will pick up on that and the majority of people will usually be like "you shouldn't be ashamed of it" but of course there'll always be the twat or two that will decide to use this against you and be like "hey s/he's ashamed of that ! It's a weak point ! WOOHOOO LETS HAVE A FIELD DAY AND TAKE THE P**S OUT OF THEM FOR WRITING A BLOG". I know it's really hard to be confident and open when talking about your blog even I go *uncomfortable laugh* "Oh god how did you find it" when someone tells me they read my blog or watched my lookbook. Sounding confident and positive when talking to people about your blog gives off the vibe that you're proud of your blog and happy with it but seriously, If you can do that I bow down to you. You're queen.

I would prefer to keep this blogpost positive as I don't wish to offend anyone I know in real life who reads or watches Dainty Sprinkles but I can't ignore the fact the reality that I've been very lucky in my experience of people at school finding out about my blog and YouTube and this is not the case for everyone. Like I said earlier, You'll always get the few sour ones who will bitch about your blog (behind your back of course.)  - The charming descriptions such as "she thinks she's great" or the adjective "full of herself" have been used before or being called by your blog name not as a friendly joke but as a p*ss take. It's kind of important to understand when someone's being an a**hole or just joking with you like there's a difference between someone you've never spoken to before yelling at you in the middle of a packed corridor "DAINTY SPRINKLES DAINTY SPRINKLES I'VE SEEN YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS" plus a whole load of other nonsense and a person you kind of know joking in class like "Dainty Sprinkles. I watched your videos. How are Plum and Truffle ?" and quoting something silly you said in your video.(Hello to these people you know who you's are DUN DUN DUNNN.) In the circumstances of people mocking you or making mean jibes about your blog, This is my favourite snappy replies that will shut people up - "Oh thank you for helping me reach my goal of 50,000". Luckily I've never had to use it because things don't tend to be told to your face but the most important thing to remember is that these people obviously have no life if they're making a hobby out of reading your blog for a laugh like really and one thing you should always keep in mind is that number one - If your "weekend activity" was Camogie, Football, Dance, etc. would you be called big headed just for (for example.) playing tennis after school ? And Blogspot and Wordpress are both blogging platforms just like Tumblr is - The difference is that Tumblr is mainly reblogging photos, etc. but they are still very similar. Now think about all the people you know who have Tumblr blogs, Instagrams, etc. - They certainly don't be mocked or called big-headed for that. I hate double standards and it's all so hypocritical ! If you begin to be bullied for your blog then you should definitely tell a family member or someone you trust who can give you advice ! Whilst talking about negativity I thought I'd mention that I know a blogger who's blog has constantly been used as a weapon against her and has been mocked for it which I think is so wrong and out of order ! I admire this blogger so much because of how open she is about her blog she discusses it in the way you discuss your favourite TV show and she has continued to blog and the best thing is that she's addressed the situation on her blog ! I have so much respect for her.

Keep in mind also that alot of people at your school probably also write blogs, but nobody knows ! There's a lot of  people I'd know who make YouTube videos or write a blog but I'd never bring it up with them mainly because I'd be conscious that they mightn't want people to know about it but also I'm too socially awkward to tell them that I think it's really cool  ! Alot of people could be the same and too afraid to tell you that they like your blog because people don't really like to sound like stalkers.

Lots of bloggers I'd be chatting with are afraid to make other accounts such as Twitters, Instagrams and YouTubes to coincide with their blog because of the risk of their family or peers finding their blog and yes your blog is like a whole lot more 'accessible' or in simpler terms is way easier to find through social networking, etc. but please please don't let that hold you back ! And if people do find out that you write a blog or make YouTube, It isn't that bad I promise !

Take both the compliments and insults concerning your blog in your stride ! Don't let anybody's negativity surrounding your blog hold you back. If you want to share your twelve minute long ramble about your favourite lipsticks on Facebook - Share it ! If you don't want to talk about your blog nobody can force you to ! Keep positive and be proud of your blog. Your blog is something you love and work hard on - It's practically like a pet dog or goldfish ! This is cheesy but your blog is how you express yourself ! Your blog is what makes you unique and different ! Express your love for blogging, Focus on the positive things that you hear about your blog and keep blogging ! I know this blogpost wasn't very helpful but I suppose I just wanted to say not to keep the fear of people you know finding out about your blog hold you back from great opportunities.

Feel free to share your opinion or experience on this topic in the comments and I hope you have a lovely weekend,

Grace x

FACEBOOK | EMAIL | INSTAGRAM | YOUTUBE

20 comments:

  1. This is a great post dear, I'm glad I read it. My housemates and closest friends knows about my blog, a couple of other people know about it but they don't read it.

    I really want to get my blog to be something I am proud of, then I hope to share it with my friends and family. I'm more concerned about my work colleagues finding out to be honest, I'm not really sure how well perceived it will be for a manager to have a 'blog'. I have quite a few work people on facebook, if that wasn't the case I probably would have put links on my facebook page and twitter!

    Corinne
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I can really relate to what you're saying it can be so frustrating worrying and all about how others will perceive it xx

      Delete
  2. This is so accurate Grace, you really hit the nail on the head! Definitely one of your best posts without a shadow of a doubt! :) Loved it :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Aveen ! Ermalerd I'm flattered - But no, Being serious I am flattered haha xx :)

      Delete
  3. I think it's great that you are so open with your family and friends about your blog. I'm sure having their support makes a huge difference! As for my own blog, everyone in my life knows about it - but I haven't exactly given them the link. I like having a place where I can be honest, without worrying about what they're thinking about it!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment ! I completely agree with you it's so much better when they don't have a link haha xx

      Delete
  4. hi i loved this post! nobody knows about my blog, not one soul, although i had to make a new twitter account this week b/c my friends were asking me why i was talking part in blog chats, etc.and i quickly changed the subject! we can do what we like and they shouldn't be aloud judge us. i play camogie so i'm busy, but for those who hav no other hobbies they should be aloud blog in peace! sorry for the rant...i got carried away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry haha ! Thanks so much and yea it's really awkward on Twitter ! A ton of people from school have unfollowed me since I began taking part in blog chats so I was like "SEE YA LATER GUYS" It's so annoying though how people can judge you for simple things like that xx

      Delete
  5. Omg Grace LOVED this post! Only my family knows about my blog and I am seriously considering telling a close group of friends but it will be so weird having my bloggy life and normal life colliding! Great post , really helps put things into prespective xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Phoebs ! That's great that your family know you should tell your friends :P I haven't found that they have collided as such because I don't bring it up too much haha but it kinda depends on the situation and all xx

      Delete
  6. I loved this post! Most of my close friends and family know about my blog. Thankfully not my url so they won't stalk my blog posts. I still don't like the ideal of people in my year finding out about it because they use 'news' like this to try and hit a nerve when it is in fact something that we are proud and unashamed of.

    Molly
    Molly Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much ! That's brilliant that they know - My friends know my URL so some of them stalk alot haha D: I can seriously relate to you on the 'news' thing it's so annoying it's like some people feel they have some given power to use your blog as a weapon against you aargh xx

      Delete
  7. my 'friend' shared my blog on facebook last year (well two years ago cause it was 2012) and I remember being extremely embarrassed and I silently freaked out in my bedroom when I saw! Some people kind of teased me about it but I pretended to be all proud of it! Some girls definitely bitched about it behind my back but it's old news now. And I'm so glad everyone knows about it cause it's not a secret now :) Really fab post grace xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful I think I'd go crazy if a friend did that to me haha ! And yea it's pure bitchery with some girls when they have nothing else to talk about sigh
      but it is a great feeling when you don't feel like you're hiding it any longer :D and thanks so much xx

      Delete
  8. This is a great blog post :)

    http://heyadri.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stand up tall & be proud of what you do, it's brilliant :) ... don't ever let others belittle what you do, they are only jealous that they cannot match your achievements. Your family & friends will be your biggest fans and will always be there to offer words of encouragement when needed and applaud your successes!!!! xxx :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through this post! It was such a great thing to address and discuss! I am proud of my blog and you are so right about it's resemblance to a pet goldfish aha but it's hard to be proud sometimes, especially at school or on facebook. Really good advice here! xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I feel the exact same it can be really stressful worrying about people judging, etc. . xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting - It makes my day.